How to take care of your gold plated jewelry.
As we all know it is not an easy decision when we pick that perfect piece of jewelry we want to buy. When we find it we want to keep it beautiful and shiny forever. Here are a few tips that Jean-Pierre Rebuffet, owner and designer from DiaParis, to extend the luster of your gold plated jewelry.
1. Do not spray any perfume or other sprays while wearing your jewelry. Wear it after so that the chemicals from the spray whether perfume or other it does not interact with the metal of your jewelry.
2. If you are going to wear any lotion, again remove your jewelry and wait till it completely dries before wearing your piece. This applies for all jewelry, rings, bracelets, necklaces and rings.
3. Substances like oil, nail polish, nail polish remover, chlorine, perfume will react with metal/metal plated jewelry and will in return cause it to tarnish easily. This also applies to sweat, so don’t forget to take off your jewelry when exercising, swimming, washing dishes and cooking.
4. After every use, clean your gold plated jewelry with a cotton ball or a very soft cloth. Remove any dust or dirt that may be on it by rubbing it gently. This will also restore shine to the piece.
5. If it requires more cleaning , use warm soapy water, You may soak it for a few minutes and use a soft brush to get dirt out in between stones. Do not use jewelry cleaners or antibacterial soaps on plated jewelry as these include components that will tarnish your gold plated jewelry more quickly.
6. Wrap your jewelry in a soft cloth after cleaning and put your jewelry away to avoid scratches by keeping them separate from other pieces you may have.
These are a few tips that will help keep the luster and shine for a longer period of time in between jeweler visits.